Thursday, November 6, 2008

Halloween


The day before Halloween, I made my way down to the Cal Poly fresh farm store across the street from the campus. They grow their own pumpkins and other fresh foods, which makes buying items from there very enjoyable. I picked out a pumpkin that was not with the rest of the pumpkins-- it had some issues but I thought that it was a good one. I called it my uniqu
e upside-down pumpkin. I brought it home for Brandon and I to carve that night. When he saw it he said, "What the heck. THAT is the pumpkin you picked out?" I told him my reasoning and he ended up really liking the pumpkin. At the store the day, along with the pumpkin I picked up some corn. It looked different, much like my pumpkin... so I decided to to pick up a couple ears.
So then came the brilliant discussion about how popcorn was made. Brandon thought that we could put a couple of kernels in the microwave and would have ourselves some popcorn. I disagreed, but I didn't know exactly how to make it... Experiment time!!!

After I finally convinced him to stop microwaving kernels, we decided to put them on the stove w ith some oil--they burned. We took more kernels and tried more oil with a lid and helpful directions from a website-- they were better, but still burned. So, after smelling burning coming from the kitchen, my mom and dad decided to join us in the activity. My mom pops her own popcorn using regular kernels. They turned out to be old and stale kernels from years ago. My father being frustrated with still not decent popcorn decides to make a bag in the microwavable popcorn. Finally, my mom makes awesome popcorn after the 5th trial run.





First batch & second batches. Very burnt and sad.














It ended up being very fun!

We forgot that the main purpose was to carve the pumpkin... so we made a design and began carving. It turned out awesome. Just in case you can't tell what it is, it's a "B" for Bethany and Brandon with Frankenstein bolts coming out of it and lighting bolts. Very BA I must say.




2 comments:

Scott & Mollie VH said...

Brandon looks like he has some sort of weird wings on... :-)

Tim and Lanette said...

Ok I know this is really late but this is the first time that I saw your blog and I loved this post. Take care.